There are days when the emotions are just too big. The words just won't come. It is on these days that I just read. I read other blogs, I google research, I stare at the facebook newsfeed just hoping something will make my brain work.
I found this tonight and was just dumbfounded. It is exactly what I have been thinking, feeling, trying to stuff down.
BEREAVED PARENTS WISH LIST (The Compassionate Friends)
1. I wish my child hadn’t died. I wish I had him back.
2. I wish you wouldn’t be afraid to speak my child’s name. My child lived and was very important to me. I need to hear that he was important to you also.
3. If I cry and get emotional when you talk about my child I wish you knew that it isn’t because you have hurt me. My child’s death is the cause of my tears. You have talked about my child, and you have allowed me to share my grief. I thank you for both.
4. I wish you wouldn’t "kill" my child again by removing his pictures, artwork, or other remembrances from your home.
5. Being a bereaved parent is not contagious, so I wish you wouldn’t shy away from me. I need you now more than ever.
6. I need diversions, so I do want to hear about you; but, I also want you to hear about me. I might be sad and I might cry, but I wish you would let me talk about my child, my favorite topic of the day.
7. I know that you think of and pray for me often. I also know that my child’s death pains you, too. I wish you would let me know those things through a phone call, a card or note, or a real big hug.
8. I wish you wouldn’t expect my grief to be over in six months. These first months are traumatic for me, but I wish you could understand that my grief will never be over. I will suffer the death of my child until the day I die.
9. I am working very hard in my recovery, but I wish you could understand that I will never fully recover. I will always miss my child, and I will always grieve that he is dead.
10. I wish you wouldn’t expect me "not to think about it" or to "be happy." Neither will happen for a very long time, so don’t frustrate yourself.
11. I don’t want to have a "pity party," but I do wish you would
let me grieve. I must hurt before I can heal.
12. I wish you understood how my life has shattered. I know it is miserable for you to be around me when I’m feeling miserable. Please be as patient with me as I am with you.
13. When I say "I’m doing okay," I wish you could understand that I don’t "feel" okay and that I struggle daily.
14. I wish you knew that all of the grief reactions I’m having are very normal. Depression, anger, hopelessness and overwhelming sadness are all to be expected. So please excuse me when I’m quiet and withdrawn or irritable and cranky.
15. Your advice to "take one day at a time" is excellent advice. However, a day is too much and too fast for me right now. I wish you could understand that I’m doing good to handle an hour at a time.
16. Please excuse me if I seem rude, certainly not my intent. Sometimes the world around me goes too fast and I need to get off. When I walk away, I wish you would let me find a quiet place to spend time alone.
17. I wish you understood that grief changes people. When my child died, a big part of me died with him. I am not the same person I was before my child died, and I will never be that person again.
18. I wish very much that you could understand — understand my loss and my grief, my silence and my tears, my void and my pain. BUT I pray daily that you will never understand.
It's the loneliest place in the world. Grieving the loss of your child. There is no doubt.
One of my biggest fears, however, is that one of my sisters. One of my friends. One of you, my loves, will join me. It's this new paralyzing fear. I don't ever want anyone else to have to stand at their child's grave every Sunday remembering the birth and subsequent death of their child.
I know I am loved. I know Aidan is loved. I love you all for it. And yet, I pray everyday that none of you EVER have to truly understand.
Links for 2016-10-26 [del.icio.us] - - Sponsored: 64% off Code Black Drone with HD Camera Our #1 Best-Selling Drone--Meet the Dark Night of the Sky!
3 hours ago