Tuesday, December 4, 2012

A quick update: learning to navigate

We are 16 weeks into this pregnancy.
We have had a successful cerclage placement.
Bed rest has begun.
Aidan is going to have a little brother.
The excitement is growing. Hope is blooming.
And yet, there are moments when it just feels a little hard to breathe. Moments that make the days feel heavier.
I miss my first little boy. I miss the things I could be experiencing him. I could be snapping photos, taking him to see Santa for the first time. We could be eagerly waiting what would have been his first Christmas in a perfect world.
But, it’s not a perfect world. At least, it isn’t THAT perfect world.
I carried Aidan and treasured every single second. I had no idea that those were all I would get.
This time around is just completely different. I am still treasuring every kick, every heartbeat. I still love this child with all that I am. But, I am doing these things with the knowledge that I may not get the ending of my dreams.
That is the reality of this new normal I live in. I can still feel all of the happiness and anticipation. However, I also live with the knowledge of what is on the other side.
I am still having a hard time finding the words to describe this part of the journey.
I am so thankful for this new life I can feel fluttering around right this second. At the same time I am so thankful for the life and legacy of his big brother. I think the words are hard to come by because I am afraid to take something away from the other. I love them equally. They are both my boys. One is not mutually exclusive of the other.
I am hoping that with the bed rest the words to explain my heart in these coming months will come. The past year has been written with such detail that I want every year to have those memories written down. I want this child to know his brother as we all know him and at the same time I want to be able to show him how eager and how badly we wanted him to be a part of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved